Friday, January 1, 2010

29 Dec 09 – My days here are numbered

First off I just want to say the closer it gets to the end, the harder it gets to say good-bye. There are a few flights scheduled over the upcoming month to bring us all home. I opted to go with my daughter so we could come home together. What that means is that I was one of the first ones in and will be one of the last ones out. That truly is the story of what it’s like to be in the logistics world. The sad thing for me is that most of my friends and support team are going home before me, and will soon be with their loved ones. I on the other hand have to say good-bye to the people that have become my second family. I will turn the lights off after they leave, and wonder how they are doing, or maybe wonder where are they right now in the process?

It’s kind of bitter sweet when you think about it. I am so glad that they are headed home soon but part of me screams (subconsciously I hope) that it should be me going. The feeling for me can be compared to being the youngest child living at home. At one time there were 5 kids in my parents’ house and the chores were split up according to ability and seniority. As my siblings moved out their chores were divided up to the rest of the kids. As more moved out the last man eventually gets stuck with the work that needs to be done. They say that life’s not fair so deal with it, trust me I am.

To all of you both here in Basra and back home that have supported us while we were here I thank you. Your thoughtfulness made the difference in someone’s life. Knowing that you’re back there supporting the men and women of the armed forces is nothing less than remarkable. The men and women that I serve with are some of the finest people in the entire U.S. Army. Some of us may not have always seen eye to eye on everything but when the dust settled the job was done.

I wanted to share part of an e mail message that Jacki sent to her favorite great aunt. She truly has the gift of writing and her description of the Christmas Turkey brought some rather unpleasant flashbacks to me.

Merry (belated) Christmas!

I figured you are probably curious how exactly one celebrates Christmas when you're surrounded by a sea of sand, and not 23 inches of snow (or whatever the count is now).

We tried to recreate the traditions of home... I went to midnight mass with my dad. I have been horribly sick the last week... I sounded like a little boy going through puberty or on some days... like Marge Simpson. Either way, not attractive. being said, I was pretty miserable at midnight mass. Coughing and all that other fun stuff.

But this was probably one of the best Christmas masses I've been to. Because I wasn't really singing, I silently observed the people who had came to worship that night. A lot of the people who come to support the soldiers by providing services, like AAFES (the PX or basically a Walmart of sorts), Iraqis, Mung, Kenyans and Ugandans, were in attendance. The best part was that the church incorporated all of these differences. Some of the prayers were done in Swahili and Arabic. While we were receiving the Eucharist, an Iraqi choir sang one of their songs. The Ugandans also chimed in with their native music as well.

It was just really nice to see all these people from such diverse backgrounds worshipping together. I'm not a regular church goer and I often choose a route God just might not approve of. Sometimes my beliefs are a little skewed... but I do know that I believe in people of diverse backgrounds being brought together for a common cause. That religion can be a great uniter. And it was nice to know that even though we knew nothing about each other, we all still had something in common.

The base also served a Christmas dinner, but it was nothing compared to the Thanksgiving meal. My piece of turkey had taken on a weird form. Either they gave me the ass of the turkey, or it wasn’t turkey at all. I didn't really want to risk it being the latter... so I consumed my weight in potato cubes (a safer choice than the fake potatoes).

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Any grand plans for New Years Eve?

<3>

To all those here that I have served with, I thank you for your patience, support, and your understanding. We have laughed, cried, and thrown an occasional beanie baby (- CW4 Schillinger) at someone to relieve the stress. The road we have traveled together has been filled with ups and downs, sorrow and joy, and maybe at times touching just a little bit insane to say the least. I mean it when I said earlier that you guys made a difference in my life and for that I thank you!

Another door is closing for all of us, another chapter in our life has passed, the memories of our time together will be something that I look back on always. May god bless you in your travels, and your life ahead!

That is all,

Dave

P.S. If you’re still interested in getting a souvenir tattoo please let me know I can still get a group rate!

No comments:

Post a Comment