Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ole Christmas tree - 18 Jan 11

For the record we are all OK after the accident. Let me set up the scene for you. We were driving back to the cabin after a great meal of stir fry at my son’s house. We were listening to the Justin Beaver CD for the second time. The night was dark no moon and the star light hadn’t reached us yet. Needless to say the snow was blowing across the dark icy roads so we were proceeding with caution. I was at the wheel and Susan was by my side looking out the window at the darkness. We were traveling under the speed limit along the winding road when suddenly out of the darkness there it was (Insert your favorite horror music) a Christmas tree. The tree came out of nowhere, my guess was it had just left a party although the lights were off and the tinsel that was remaining was non reflective. There was no Angel there that night looking out for us either.

In slow motion I thought to myself “Self what should I do”? Susan screamed and I did the only thing I could do giving the circumstances. I didn’t veer left or right, nor did I head for the ditch; there was no time. Instead I ran over the tree and I should add Susan’s RAV4 handled the Christmas tree just like hitting a speed bump in a parking lot. Then Aubrey asked out of the back seat “what happened” in a frightened voice? We assured her after turning down Justin that it was OK and that we had hit a Christmas tree. Big deal your thinking and I have to admit that I thought the same thing as well. I pulled over to check for possible damage and was amazed to find that the plastic covering over the front bumper was damaged, the fog light housing was gone and the fog light itself was hanging by two wires.

We turned around to take a picture of the tree and to remove it off the road before someone else hit it. The tree was a spruce approximately 8 foot tall, painted or dyed green with a lot of needles left on it. The reason I mentioned a lot of needles left on was because of the time of the month (Three weeks past Christmas), the impact speed, and the fact that the front of the RAV 4 with the pine needles sticking out of it looked like a rabid Chia pet.

Susan called the insurance company to file a claim and I could hear the insurance representative laughing after she found out we were OK. I’m sure it was a first for them; we probably hit the insurance version of the Guinness book of world records.

Later when we stopped at the Food and Fuel in Osakis to drop off a rented movie I coached Aubrey to ask Grandma a certain question when she got back into the vehicle. Grandma got in and closed the door then Aubrey said “Grandma” to which Susan replied “yes Aubrey”. In her sweet and innocent voice she said “Grandma why does your car smell like a pine tree air freshener"? I love my Granddaughter!

In closing the score now is Christmas tree 1 Toyota RAV 4 nothing!

Have a great day!

Dave

P.S. Irving says hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment