Saturday, July 11, 2009

9 JUL 09 – PFC Crotteau reports

Good morning from IRAQ.

I wanted to tell you about a happy moment in my life here in the desert. On 7 July, my little Jacki showed up at the airport here. I had been waiting for her arrival so long that it reminded me of a time not so long ago in a hospital; Time travel back to 14 Nov 89, to be exact. I had patiently waited 9 months for the moment that would change my life, just like her brother and sister before hers had. Little did I know that waiting for Jacki to be born would be the first time of many spent waiting for her! There were many times that I found myself waiting on her to finish going to the bathroom when she was young so I could wipe her. Then there was the time spent waiting for her to help me pick raspberries, although my container was always fuller than hers for some odd reason. Time spent waiting for her to clean her room (still not done), or the time spent waiting for her to come home after school, work, or God forbid, a date. I never could sleep good knowing my kids were out and about. There were a lot of good times raising her and some sad times watching her struggle to become a young women. It’s funny the things that run through your mind, as years later, I found myself anxiously waiting on her again. I thought back to not so long ago where she left her SOS message on our house phone and then again on our cell phones saying she was out of toilet paper in the downstairs bathroom asking for us to save her before her knees went numb. Back then, I thought to myself how sweet it was for her to wait on me for a change. Looking back at her life, I’ve watched her from being a soft and fuzzy cuddle bug, to a fast but somewhat clumsy caterpillar, to suddenly becoming this beautiful butterfly that has captured many a man’s second glance.

Fast forward to present day IRAQ and that’s where you will find Jacki. She has been on her way here since she joined back in 2007. Actually she found out in 2008 that there was a chance that she was going to deploy with her dad. Like most things in her life, she faced this task head on and arms wide open. She continues to amaze me with her ability to embrace life and enjoy each moment to its fullest. If you read her blog (Jacki-crotteau.blogspot.com) you’ll find that during her travels here she has met an alligator wrangler, an illegal immigrant, and an Iraqi woman who is a women’s rights advocate. Not to mention the mail that was already waiting for her from a little girl named Olivia, to the boxes of books and personal hygiene items from people she met on line.

So the other night when she entered the airport here I was speechless. My! How my baby had changed since I saw her last. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking she was beautiful even with her Improved Outer Tactical Vest on. And yes, I will be talking to the guys that gave her a second glance! Her smile when she saw me seemed to light up the room, it was as if time had stood still. Those with me may or may not have seen the tears in my eye as she approached, or they may have opted to look the other way. Although the truth is, I wasn’t alone in welcoming her. Some of the people on hand have known her from when she was just a baby. There were Uncle John, Uncle Chuck, Aunt Cheryl, Cousin Jeff, and Cousin Dennis to name a few. I’m not sure who was more anxious me or them? What I can tell you is I was so proud of her for finally making it here. She overcame some pretty big obstacles and now stood even taller after each obstacle was overcome.

Her Dad waited almost 30 years to get a combat patch and here was daddy’s little girl getting her combat patch after only 2 years. It makes me wonder what the future holds for both her and my son Josh. What I know today is there is no doubt that either of them is more than capable of rising to the challenge. I would and I will continue to serve with my kids proudly!
To my wife, the mother of our kids and my best friend I know you’re not here with us today or with Josh at Ft Jackson just know that a part of you is with us always. You may not be in the military but you have served with me for the last 22 years. Now you’re serving through your children and are by their side supporting them and all of us unconditionally as we continue to serve our country. I know my kids understand that we would be lost without your love, your support and trust me, we are aware of your personal sacrifices that you have made so that we may serve.

To everyone else reading this if opportunity permits, please take a moment to thank the families that have given of themselves so that their son, daughter, brother, sister, girl friend, boy friend, husband, or wife may serve. I know that the family has the toughest job of picking up the pieces and trying to keep it all together in our absence.

That is all,
Dave

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Jacki made it there okay!! I know that Chuck was very happy to see her also! Take care of yourself and your daughter! We'll help Susan out if she needs anything!
    Love,
    Heather and kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pops-

    I just wanted you to know that I love you and think about you and Jackson every single day! I know that the group you have over there with you could not have been more fortunate than to get your leadership, and Jacki's sideshow. With a combination like that I know the time will continue to fly by....or maybe it will drag along...but look on the bright side, at least now you have a sidekick at your disposal for all of your own hijinks. I love you Dad!!!

    Darc

    ReplyDelete