Thursday, November 26, 2009

25 Nov 09 – Happy Thanksgiving

First off to those of you still reading my blog I want to thank you for being patient. It is hard sometimes to write of the routine here that is only broken by sleeping in a little on Sunday, going to church, and then to work later on. I’ve said it before and I will say it again I’m living Ground hogs day over, and over, and over again.

Jacki and I participated in a talk show tonight with radio station KNSI AM 1450 out of St Cloud. It was fun, and the talk show host Dan “Ox” Ochsner was the one who interviewed us. He even pronounced our last name right on the first try! What a nice break from doing the same thing every day. Tomorrow we’re suppose to do a couple of TV interviews which could be fun we will see.

Jacki mentioned tonight on the radio show that we have different blogs, hers is fun and light, and mine on the other hand is serious; somewhat sad. Not sure what she meant, I try to be upbeat.

For example Thanksgiving away from your loved ones is tough to explain unless you’re over here. You try to be strong and show your soldiers that it’s going to be OK, we will get through this. You know one of those leadership things where you lead by example? When inside you’re missing your family, glorified rice, and stuffing with just the right seasonings. Instead were working a normal day and eating in a mess hall that would soon close if it were a business in the cities. Sure it’s all you can eat, the bigger question is how much can you handle? Now Jacki on the other hand would have a bright side along the lines of at least we don’t have to do the dishes! She might also wonder how much money she would make off her dear old grandma playing cards.

Today like most days I find myself day dreaming of the things that I miss the most. Sure family, friends, cold beer, adult activities, and indoor plumbing rank right up there. But sometimes the day dreams are about homemade bread fresh out of the oven. Spreading the butter watching it melt as it spreads, topped by some homemade strawberry jam. Sometimes when you close your eyes you can actually visualize it. Instead the smell from outside crashes your day dream and you’re suddenly faced with reality. Sure it’s doom and gloom here sometimes. But Jacki is right, it’s all about choices. If you remember one of my phrases is it’s up to you if your glass is half empty or half full. I do try and live my life like its half full!

Others ask what it is like there. What do you do? My job is logistics which covers everything from food to ammo; trucks to two wheelers; boots to tanks; water wings to airplanes. My section deals with just about everything except dispensing bulk fuel. Trust me if someone somewhere needs it, forgot it, or just ran out of the last one it becomes a problem for logistics. I think my buddy Teddy said it best:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." --

Theodore Roosevelt

Then again maybe Teddy should have said that Logistics is the difference between a click and a bang when you pull the trigger. Our job here as logisticians is not one that is often rewarded; we’re expected to expect the unexpected. Like Teddy said above we are the guys behind the scenes with dirt on our faces that make stuff happen. We’re the ones who are there before, during and after a mission to make sure it goes off without a hitch?

I didn’t mean to say Logistics is a thankless job when it is, but being the part that changes it from a click to bang is the reward. Replacing a Soldier’s worn out boots, getting his HUMMV back up and operational, or providing the heater that warms his room at night is all the thanks that we need. Taking care of soldiers and their needs is what Logistics is all about!

I want to finish this edition of my blog with Thanksgiving. This Thanksgiving I’m thankful for my family, my friends, and the world I left behind. I’m thankful for indoor plumbing, shower shoes, and the health of my loved ones. I’m also thankful that you’re able to read this in English, not Russian, Arabic, or Chinese. Most of all I’m thankful for those who gave the ultimate gift so that we can partake in the festivities of the upcoming seasons as Americans. Tonight as you lay snuggled in your bed say a prayer for the families left behind. Sleep well knowing that somewhere out there a soldier is on duty protecting the homeland. I’m going to ask that when you say a prayer tomorrow or the next day that you include the soldiers and their families that have given up more than we will ever know.

Let me leave you with a thought that I shared with my sister Susan. My thought is that the mistakes that are made in life should be like a library book. You check it out as a new edition, learn from it, and return it to the shelf. If you sign it out again use it only as a refresher for you to remember the life lesson that you learned.

That is all,

Dave

P.S. Jacki might be right in her observations?

1 comment:

  1. Dave,
    Your blog may be a little more serious that Jacki's, but you get the point across that you are trying to make. I love reading your blog and check it every two days to see if either you or susan have updated it or if Jacki has updated hers!
    Take care, your almost done!
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete