Monday, April 13, 2009

12 Apr 09 – Happy Easter

Hello from sunny Basrah Iraq!

Until I get connectivity established I cannot access Dave and Susan’s blog. Instead I’m sending blog updates to Susan so she can post on my behalf. Hopefully in the next month or two internet for outside of work will be offered at a small price. Blogs, face book, my space, live chat rooms are not allowed on DOD (Department of Defense) internet. It’s sad for me because I looked forward to reading some witty comments; some heartfelt thoughts, and your continued messages of support. Please continue to post your comments I know Susan enjoys them as much as me. Someday soon I hope to read your comments again.

Our move south is now completed and you will be glad to know I finally have a mattress to sleep on. Yesterdays temperatures were a balmy 90 and expected to get warmer. I can’t wait for summer to get here! I’m sure to quote my wife “it’s going to be hotter than the gates of hell here soon”. A friend of mine that was here last year said it best when he said “On my way out of Kuwait, I ordered some fast food and I realized that my food would never get cold”.

We are taking over a base formerly ran by the British. The whole base is getting redone, out with the tents and in with the Chu’s (Trailer with 3 12 x 14 rooms). The place is changing before our eyes daily. It’s kind of a tax payer’s version of Extreme Makeover Base Edition”. If I were to complain it’s about the showers. Believe it or not our water here is delivered daily. That translates into soldier showers. Step 1 Get wet, Step 2 shut the water off, Step 3 soap up, Step 4 turn the water on, Step 5 rinse off, step 6 yell next and move out. So far we have ran out of water twice in the shower trailers. Lucky for me I shower at night now because I don’t want to run out. Ladies you will be glad to know that I’ve become modest in the uni-sex toilet building. I’m kind of shy so I’ve opted to take my business outside to the porta-potties. I couldn't take it any longer trying to be quiet while the guy in the next stall is giving childbirth.

The food has gotten a lot better although I was telling Susan that we have had chicken every day since we have been here (Iraq and Kuwait). Whether it’s Breakfast, lunch, or supper there is chicken somewhere in the serving line; Eggs to order, omelets, hard boiled eggs, Chicken fingers, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, chicken wings, chicken tacos, chicken fajitas, chicken kabobs, and don’t forget chicken salad. Today my wife gave me the ultimate chicken when I opened my care package and found some chicken peeps. I’m not complaining it’s not like there are not other items to choose from.

Address change: If you should feel the need to send letters or packages filled with goodies please use my new address:

SGM David Crotteau
34th ID MCP (117)
APO, AE 09374

That is all for now more updates to follow!
Dave

5 comments:

  1. SGM,

    Well it may be sunny and hot in Basrah, but at good 'ol Ft Liews we had the casing ceremony in a drissling rain and wind this morning, no coats or gloves allowed, brrr. The afternnon made up for it though. We had the MWR picnic and while eating it starting sleeting for the third or fourth time today. Mmmm, baked beans and potato salad with ice pellets. But at least the the beer (ha, ha) tasted good and PASS starts tomorrow...

    See you soon.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADD TO THE LIST CHICKEN SHIT, THEY MAKE YOU PAY FOR INTERNET? ISN'T A YEAR AWAY ENOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dave,
    I totally agree with the 2nd comment. Your blog is the highlight of the day for many. And- we're waiting for the 50's here. We'll suffer it out though. I'm sure the heat will get here. Tomorrow Little Doug comes home for a few days. Am excited to see him.

    Take care and God Bless. My prayers for all of you.

    Love
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave - Janner, here. You could opt for one of those Hot Pockets, that'll push the chicken right through and NO MORE CHICKEN! (I'd like the CEO of KBR to eat that junk they feed you guys. For a whole year, not just for a day. KBR makes oodles of money on a no bid contract and turn around and feed you soldiers pitiful food. Why I oughta........
    Okay, off the soapbox before I call my cousin, Guido.
    RE: the internet - Rich said someone (a civilian?) stepped up and paid for their internet, so he (and those stationed there) didn't have to pay. Would be great if that was the case for your tour as well.
    Thanks for your service to our country. And that would be an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dave
    Well John is on his way but I am sure you already know that. I have been reading your blogs as soon as you get them up. It is a little more encouraging to know that all of you will be together. Please take care of John for me. And I am sure you will. I look forward to your next blog.
    PS. Is that address going to be all of yours? John didn't know yet what it would be and I have stuff to sent out to him. Let me know when you can.
    Liza

    ReplyDelete