Wednesday, April 1, 2009

1 Apr 09 - Unprecedented Snowfall

Good Afternoon from Iraq,
I can't believe I traveled half way across the globe to the Iraq to get snow. CNN reported today that Bagdad Iraq got 2" of snow this late in the season. AFN (Armed Forces Network) said the snowfall here came out of nowhere. Local weather forecasters were speechless as up to 2" of snow fell over night.

On with the news, I know I said hopefully next time I posted I would be in my new location but I was wrong. I removed myself from the flight roster in order to travel down later with the rest of my guys. Truth be told the new location isn't quite ready for us yet. Still issues with showers (or lack of) and electrical power generation. Hopefully I'll be leaving in the next few days weather permitting. I have to say I miss home, and my family a lot but look forward to my new location and getting out of my tent here. I'm sure my 28 room mates will miss me but as for missing them, well.... I have asked to bring my too small cot with but promises of an actual bed have left me undecided (not). Other than that they feed you well here. The tents are warm at night or cool depending on the outside temperature? No need to bring garbage out to the curb, it's magically done for you.

Did I mention April fools day has come and gone and I was without pranks to pull this year? Last time I was deployed one of my soldiers was arrested due to trumped up charges of having indecent pictures of her fellow section members on a "Hunk of the month Calendar". It was entertaining for the rest of us, I'm not sure Sarah felt the same.

To my friends and family reading this I thank you for your continued support!

Love from Iraq,

Dave

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering when Hell would freeze over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, April Fools day and no one for Dave to fool, must be a first!!
    Take care and be safe,
    Love The Madden's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HiYa Dave - Janner, here. (BTW, that freeze over comment was Rich). I'm baking Ghiradelli brownies and have already baked chocolate chip cookies in preparation for your care package to Iraq. Picked up a Twin set of Hotel sheets for you (TJMaxx) so that you may rest your head on something other than fabric with the quality of burlap.
    Sending along a "Phase 10" card game. Rich and I play that alot more than cribbage right now. If you decide you'd like more sets (we already trashed one set of cards from playing it so much) we will gladly send more. Need something to do during your down time besides eat brownies and chocolate chip cookies! ;o)
    Glad to hear you're having some "Minne-snow-ta" weather over there. Granted, it won't last, but maybe a few soldiers were able to throw a few snowballs around.
    Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dave, just sitting here wishing I were there with you guys! Buns and Nate are preping for Europe next Tues for 8 days of sun. Love Ya Man!!! - Todd

    ReplyDelete