Friday, March 27, 2009

27 Mar 09 - Another day

Good afternoon all,
Another warm and sunny day here in Iraq. The days are still blending together my dream now is to move south to my new home. I have been in a holding pattern for several days now waiting for the Air Force to move me and the rest of the guys. Hopefully next time I blog you it will be from southern Iraq. My time here is spent working from about 8:00 AM to about 8:30-9:00 PM most days. After that its a shower Odyssey. What I mean is the water temperature can change in a flush. You never know when your voice will change from Tenor to soprano. As far as where I'm located now it still amazes me what wealth and power will do.

There are man made lakes here, streets, houses on the water, palm trees, as well as guest houses and palaces. There is a palace for him, his son, and his mistresses (Called the perfume Palace). Rumor has it the lakes would be drained periodically and at one time there was a dolphin? Did I mention the lift bridge, and the house boats. The house boats are huge and look like a small scaled palace. Around the lakes there are piers to tie the boats up. All this power and wealth to create this oasis? If only the man had taken care of his people better. It's hard to understand the locals hating us when you see the personal corruption up front. It's even harder to understand when you look outside the walls and see the poverty. Although there are some that will say it's one thing to take down the Saddam government, it's another to replicate it with the U.S. government. The hatred towards us will be there for sometime but snapshots of this place will live with me forever. Just like the holocaust, the horrors that were committed here can never be forgotten. (Hopefully my new base Will have a way for me to download pictures to share)

My thoughts and prayers are with a soldier serving here with me and his family in Fargo. Two days ago his wife reported that she could see the recently created dyke through her window. The dyke then was for the 42 foot crest. Recent new stories here have the river cresting at 43 feet. His wife reported last night that all the elderly, and those requiring medical treatment were moved out of the neighborhood as a precaution. His high school daughter is filling sand bags during the day. Internet news in our office is locked down so he has to go to the dining halls (fancy word for Mess Hall) to catch news updates. The other option for him is here at the MWR. I can only imagine the thoughts going through his mind right now. So far from home, nothing you can do, and yet your family needs you.

On a personal note not sure what day it is now for me but I'm still not drinking my beloved Mountain Dew (since 2 Feb). I said it last time and I will say it again my glass is still half full. When I look at Cory and his family, or Jimmy and his cancer my problems are quite minor.

I want to thank all of you for keeping the armed forces and their families in your prayers. Knowing that you are all there for me, my family, and my soldiers gives me great comfort.

That is all,

Dave

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for updating again. Sounds like our nursing home here in Osakis was to receive about 11 people from the nursing home I think from Moorhead. How very hard for those people to be moved from their familiar surroundings too. Denise said that Shane was in Fargo for a day or two helping to sandbag. What a great thing to do.

    Praying for you and all of your military family.
    Thanks for all you do.

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave,
    My mom wrote a letter and she wants to send it to you. When you get to your next "home" could you please post it?
    thanks
    Thomas Simi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave. It is a typical you to worry about everyone else. The flood duty has been going ok. Brainerd received some of the people from the Nursing Home and one of my friends is planning activities for them. We just got 3-4 inches of snow. So as you can imagine all of us complain about how long winter has been. Life at Camp Ripley is same as usual. Bob has been calling as he is out at Ft. Lewis. They are looking for last minute equipment which I am trying to get - but as I told him I can't pull it out of my ___! Take care and tell Chief Twit Hi!

    ReplyDelete