Sunday, March 1, 2009

1 Mar 09 - One month gone

Good morning from Dave's world,
Today marks the passing of my first month from home. Time is passing fast for me, and the days seem to blend together. In four to five days I will be leaving the good old USA until next year. The thought of leaving home was tough but I have adapted here. Routines were established and the time was passing by.

Going across the pond brings me one step closer to coming home. The flip side of it is that I give up the luxury of text messaging my wife, family and friends. I won't be afforded the luxury of sending a text message of encouragement by electronic media. Not to mention that my wife and kids will not be able to get a hold of me when they need me. We are all going to have to rely on E Mail to communicate and set up times to call. The reality is that my family and friends are with me in my heart and soul no matter where I go.

With my glass being half full I know today marks month one, with hopefully eleven more to go. Nothing in this world is guaranteed and it's up to you to decide if your going to have a good day or a great day.

I know your curious about the cribbage tournament I can say last nights game with a different partner had the same results. My team won and the other team was taught that life goes on. Those of you back in Minnesota need to keep proficient in the game, you need to continue to train. There will be no excuses such as "I haven't played since you left", or my favorite "Can we play Texas hold em instead".

My guys here need me, and I as well need them. Regardless of our rank, we are morally responsible to get each other through this deployment. Keep all of us in your prayers as well as our families, and the friends that are standing by ready to help.

That is all,

Dave

7 comments:

  1. Dave, It was hard enough saying goodbye to you when you went to Fort Lewis, I feel like I have to say good-bye all over again. I will really miss our nightly chats and your special text I get every morning. I can't tell you how much they ment to me. They always make me feel so special and loved. I know we won't talk as often, but just know your in my thoughts and heart. I love you.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dave,
    For some silly reason, I feel your cribbage comments were and always are directed at me. Just got home from Church and pancake breakfast. It's supposed to warm up this week. 30's. Yipee. No other news. Boring when Sue doesn't come up. Miss you.

    Love
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, My thoughts and prayers are with you and those that are leaving with you in the next few days! I know you will all watch out for and take good care of each other, and that is what will get me throught the next year! Take care and keep your head down (ask Madden)!

    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,
    I better check in with you. Thinking about you and everyone going over there. Our thoughts are with you. It sure seems different, from where I sit now and watch things, but I still miss the friends I had in the Guard. One month, wow, it does go fast. Well I need to sign off, "So keep your stick on the ice" (from the Opossum Lodge; of course) and when the next 11 months go by; like the past one, you'll be back.
    Dan Saumer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drive on Sergeant Major, drive on.

    Praying for you,


    Your favorite Chaplain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I MISS YOU POPS!!!

    Your 'little' girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully time will pass much quicker once you actually get to Iraq and start doing the things you are sent to do. Deployments are hard but I know your family will get through it; they have a lot of support. Oh and just as soon as you get an address you'll be at for a while let Darcie know and I'll send that Iraqi cell phone of my brother's (and the 16 digit phone number) so it will make communicating a little easier!

    ReplyDelete