Saturday, May 23, 2009

22 May 09- Life is still on Pause


Good evening! I know you’re surprised that I’m doing two posts in one week. To be honest, I had two choices: One was to post a message to my friends and family back home. My other choice was to try and dwindle down the things to do in my in-box before it slides off to the floor. Picture an iceberg in the ocean as a great shelf of ice breaks off and splashes into the cold dark water below. Yep, you guessed it, I’m writing a blog to my friends and family. My attitude lately is “the pile will be there tomorrow when I get back here in the morning”.


In my last post I talked about deployment being a lot like hitting the pause button on the VCR. Most of us will be coming back into the living room a year after hitting the pause button. A whole year will have gone by when we hit the play button. But what about those of us that don’t make it home? What about their hopes, dreams, families and friends? What they have ahead of them is sad times, memories, and so many first times without.


This weekend, particularly means so much more to me than Memorial Day s of the past. When I was a young soldier I was tasked by higher headquarters to work in support of Memorial Day celebrations in Anoka county and surrounding areas. It seemed that I worked every Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and 4th of July celebration for five years in a row. I use to resent the additional time that I had to work to support these event. I hated the guys in the higher headquarters telling me to take precious time away from my family. Now years later I find myself thinking of the sacrifices that so many gave to give us the freedom that we have today. In the greater scheme of things I only gave four days tops to honor others. Such a small price to pay for the ultimate price so many made. I’m not proud of myself for being angry about working the Memorial Day services. The veterans and families that we were honoring back then deserved so much better than what I was prepared to offer. If I knew back then what I now know, I would have handled it differently.


Last year Susan and I went to a local cemetery for the Memorial Day Service. The years prior had been filled with military funerals, casualty notification duties, as well as a casualty assistance officer. What does casualty notification and casualty assistance mean exactly? It means I had to tell a mother her boy wasn’t coming home. Then I assisted the same mother with the miles of military paperwork and with the funeral itself. Not only did the mother’s life change forever, but that day my life changed too. I was able to get through it all with help from the big guy upstairs, my family and friends. Another reason why I was successful was that I asked myself what I would want for my wife and family if someone was doing the job I was chosen to do.


The reason why I bring this up is that when I was at the Memorial Day service last year I was very emotional. The old World War II and the Vietnam Veterans marched up and performed a remarkable job. The sad thing was that before the ceremony started some of the veterans could hardly walk, much less stand for the service. But when the flag was carried, taps were played, the rolls called, and the 21 gun salute was executed, the old guys were all standing tall. It was as if they reached deep into their personal reserve to stand tall for the soldiers that had given so much. That day the American Legion honor guard did their fallen comrades proud! I want you to experience this emotion and thank a veteran for his service. Don’t do it after they are gone, do it now while they are here. I’m asking that today you to call a veteran, veteran’s wife, or visit a cemetery to honor those who gave all, so we can have so much.


Numerous people sent me the picture above. It makes me think of life growing up. You have to grow up believing in America. When you’re young the whole “living the American dream” is just something your parents said. You went to the parades, the fireworks, and the picnics, never really understanding what all the fuss was all about. You went for the candy, scantily clad girls twirling batons, and Mom’s potato salad. The fireworks were awesome and sometimes you woke up as dad carried you back to the car.

The reason I chose this picture is that it explains the American way of life. We grow up listening to our parent’s talk of America, the Unions and making a better place for their families. Their dreams and beliefs someday, become our dreams and beliefs. Somewhere along the line we add a few things in hopes of making our world a better place for our kids, grandkids and the generations to come. So, the reason this picture represents us is that you have to color it in with some blood, sweat, and tears. You have to believe in the difference you have made, the differences you’re going to make, and the sacrifices that you have given so the next generation can carry on the dreams and beliefs of our fathers, and those who have gone before them. You have to participate at some level whether it’s a fire fighter, police officer, serve on the city council, little league coach, teacher, soldier, or a parent. But in order to color in the flag above you have to believe in America, and stand proudly when the National Anthem is played. You have to go to a service-connected funeral to witness the loss of someone who gave their own life, while protecting yours. John 15:13 says “No one shows greater love than when he lays down his life for his friends”. Most importantly you have to stand up, and remove your hat when the flag goes by! You have to understand that so many gave so much in order for you to have this day. Don’t think of Memorial Day as a burden, or another day to miss work. Instead think of it as an opportunity to thank those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.


In remembrance of SFC Mike Walters, SGT Chris Rabe, SGT Brent Koch, Harold Crotteau, Sheldon Sibell, and my friend SGM Mike Mettille. And many more. You may be gone but you will not be forgotten.


As my favorite character Radar said “That is all”
Dave

2 comments:

  1. WOW!

    Thank you to you and all of your men and women that are serving with you!!

    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you still think of Mike from time to time.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete