Tuesday, May 26, 2009

26 May 09 - Memorial Day Weekend

Good Morning, from warm and sweaty Iraq. What a great week end at the beach. Just like other Memorial Day weekends in the past, I ended up dumping sand out of my shorts and sneakers. Your probably asking yourself sand in your shorts and sneakers where did that come from? Well, if you have a minute or two I will tell you.

We spent the weekend working, although Sunday was a reduced work day in the office. On Friday night we watched one of the girls we started our journey with. She was participating in the second round of Iraq Idol. What a voice, and what a performance! They started out with 9 on the first round, six on the second, and now 3 on the last. SGT Washington will be one of the three remaining contestants. Next Friday night we will be on hand again to watch one of our own.

On Sunday a friend of mine got us involved in the volley ball playoffs. It started out innocent enough when I was asked; I said I would play if Cheryl would play. Never in a million years did I think that she would step up and say let’s play. She was supposed to be my escape goat, my battle buddy. Instead I found myself playing volleyball on a team with other members of our section. Our first game was a blur and soon the game was over. It was obvious that some of us haven’t been around the game for some time. Our second game was better, but in the heat it’s hard to say. Before we knew it the game was over and the other team was congratulated on their victory. We played our third game for fun and lost that one as well. A little discussion about the heat and the game and we were ready to go back and hibernate. Did I mention it was double elimination? I didn’t mention it, and wasn’t aware of the second set we were to play until our coach informed us as we were walking back. I might have given the coach a smart butt comment or two when he said report back to the court at 1300 (1:00 PM).

The second set didn’t go too bad we won the first game, and in my eyes dominated the much younger team. The second set they won, and made us look like escapees from the old folk’s home. Wow, imagine our surprise one game apiece and we had another game to play. I’m sure I forgot to mention that by now it was all of 110 degrees. Third game went by in a blur and soon the humiliation was over. I’m sure your asking, how did the rest of the team do.? My battle buddy suffered the worst after sitting out most of the first set; at the start of the second set she tripped and fell over the sand bags that outlined the court. I give her credit it was a noble effort to save the team, and keep the ball in play. She tore up her knees, and ripped some meat off the palm of her hands. The rest of us suffered jammed fingers, some swallowed pride, and it was all over.

Going back to my room to cool down turned into another adventure. My thoughts of cooling down quickly turned too, throw some water on the rocks. We experienced our first controlled power outage in our cell block area. Lucky for me, the electricity was off for over two hours.
Monday turned out to be another day much like the days before only different. The day started out good talking to my lovely bride back home. After that it was last night’s Memorial Day service. The service was great and a fine tribute to those that lost their lives here on this foreign sand. After a very moving service, a local band from Minnesota was on stage next to perform for the troops. The band’s name was Catch Penny and they were voted MWR (Moral Welfare Recreation) entertainer of the year. Just for the record they are civilians that came over to share their talents with the soldiers. Not sure if they are paid for their efforts or not, but I can say their efforts were most appreciated.

All in all I’m doing OK! The weather here has temperatures right around 115 for most of the week. Night time lows around the 85 degree range. I have a unique way to look at the heat. It’s the same as the one I use in the winter when I say “once it gets below zero it doesn’t matter how cold it is”. I only hope the same is true when it gets above 115? Yesterday I was thinking of Richard Simmons were he did sweating to the oldies. Here it’s the oldies just a sweating.
Please continue to keep the soldiers here with me in your thoughts and prayers. For those of you that sent me a Memorial Day greeting, I thank you.

As my favorite character Radar said “That is all”

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you survived the volley ball games!! Hopefully Ms. Townsend heals fast! By the way, I owe you!! Be prepaired!

    Best wishes to all of our hero's over there!
    Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the play by play on the game. Thinking of you and the young one headed over there in a few days.

    Paul Croteau

    ReplyDelete