Saturday, June 13, 2009

6 June 09 - Iraq

Hi this is Susan, I am sorry that I am just posting this now. Due to computer problems I had to wait untill I got up north to my moms.


Morning to all! It’s been a while since I sent a blog posting so I thought I would update you on a day in my life. On a typical morning I get up around 5:00 – 5:30 to shower, shave and get ready for the day. Depending on if I call home or not it’s either off to breakfast or to the office to call home at 6:00 AM. If I call home I then go to breakfast at 7:00 and then back to work. There are a few water cooler conversations, reading e mails, and reviewing tasks from the night before. It gets quiet for a little while as we try to work our way through projects we are working on, and tasks to be completed. On or about 1130 heads start popping up out of their cubicles and its lunch time. When the heads start popping up it kind of looks like prairie dogs during mating season. After a 1/8 to ¼ mile walk to the mess hall we are tantalized by the aroma coming from the mess hall. If only the food could be half as good as the smell?


Lunch has a sandwich bar, a specialty bar, a healthy bar (not sure what it has, probably granola, and lettuce), short order and the main line. Sometimes you want to believe the civilians behind the counter understand the layout, and some days you got to ask yourself what in the world? For example they mix up a large tub of tuna for sandwiches that they place on the salad bar instead of the sandwich bar. Or there are days when the civilians say lets shake things up just a little and make a different salad. Trust me their different salads are everything from pinto beans, lima beans, pork and beans mixed together to cold spaghetti noodles with mayo.

I'm sure most of you that are reading this thought I was going to go down the road of chicken for every meal? It’s true, but I covered that already in previous blog postings. After lunch it’s the long hot walk back to the barn. We call it the barn because of the stalls and the loud noises that are heard once in a while. We have to go through the main building with sheet rocked walls that are textured, down a winding hall, across the heated covered walk way in to our barn. After winding our way to our cubicles (stalls) it’s back to work. Some of my office mates have a problem with motivation after filling their stomachs, the hot walk back, and the presence of the “Z” monster. I myself was attacked by the “Z” monster just the other day. After battling him at my computer I pushed back trying to regroup. Once I pushed back the “Z” monster hit me from behind and I was out cold. Another of my office mates was attacked and was not so lucky. She came to with definite impressions of the key board indented on her forehead. What a battle that must have been, I’m sure there is a medal in this for her.


Numerous meetings later heads start popping up and its supper time. The whole lunch routine is repeated and it’s off to the mess hall. Back to work and thoughts of going to bed soon dance in my head. Before I know it 9:00 or later and I walk home. I’m not sure if my roommate is alive or not, he is there in bed sleeping when I leave in the morning and he is in his bed sleeping when I get home. At this point in the deployment I can’t imagine sleeping in, or getting to bed early! (Note to self I really should check his pulse tonight when I get home)


Now all you have to do to understand a day in the life of a soldier is to multiply this times the length that you’re here and you come up with same stuff different day. The high light is Sunday where your work day is reduced, time is allowed for church, PX, and a little “me” time. Then it’s back to work later in the day and the next week begins.


Some of us here are trying to shake things up a little and break the monotony. Pranks are being pulled like just the other day the guy in the cubicle next to mine had his water bottle punctured by a knife in four different locations. He drank out of his bottle twice before the contents squeezed out onto his lap. When I witnessed this I hurried and punctured my water bottle so he wouldn’t blame me for his saturation. Sure enough he glared at me and swore revenge. I told him it wasn’t me and told him my bottle was punctured too. It seemed to defuse the situation now he is planning retaliation against another. I love it when a plan comes together!

I now have 4 months done eight more to go! Everyone reading this needs to know that your E mails, letters, cards from home, and packages make a difference. Mail time here is a highlight for all. Those that get packages are like kids at Christmas. Contents are shared, pictures are shown, and thoughts of home surround us for a brief moment.


I gotta go to a meeting now. Hope that all is well back home! Liza and Heather if you’re reading this you both deserve a sympathy card for what you put up with daily.


That is all,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment