Sunday, June 21, 2009

21 Jun 09 – Fathers Day

My day started out a little different than the many days before. I didn’t set my alarm; I thought instead that I would see what time I would wake. Imagine my surprise when I woke to discover it was 7:00 AM. Normally I start glancing at my watch about 4:30-5:00 and then every 10-15 minutes until my alarm goes off. What a wonderful feeling to sleep without having to be in the office to work. I went to breakfast and met some of the guys prior to church. We did the “hi how are you” followed closely by “Happy Fathers day”. We ate breakfast together and hung out drinking coffee and juice talking a little about our families and our kids. While at church I reflected on my life, my wife, where I was, my family and how lucky I was to be the father of four unique kids. You know pretty much the standard Sunday morning church thoughts you share with the big guy.

After church I couldn’t wait to come in and read the cards from my family that was waiting for me. My family had sent the cards early with instructions written on the back to “not open until Father’s day”.

The more I reflected on Father’s Day the more I wanted to share some special thoughts with my family.

Darcie – I have loved you from the day I met you. You see, you had me the moment you introduced me as you dad, if not before. Your long hair and Raggedy Ann cheeks had already melted my heart. I couldn’t believe that you would honor me by calling me that. I felt at that moment in time that we were meant to be a family. Knowing you, you had already come to the conclusion that we were destined to be a family. Even then, you showed remarkable judgment that followed you through your early years, and have stayed with you down the road of life. You have a remarkable gift of insight, determination, and most importantly perseverance. You made me want to be a better man, not just for you but for your mom! Darcie you will always be my little girl! Knowing the life journey you are taking has me sleeping well. I know that the choices you make in life are the right ones for you. Like everything else in your life, you give 125% in whatever you do.

Matthew – You too had me from the moment we met as well. You were laying there in your crib, just waiting to be held by me. At that moment you looked so innocent and were so dependent on others to care for you. I so wanted to be your Dad! As you grew you choose a different path that sometimes paralleled mine, but not always. It’s Ok that we are different, but today with it being Fathers Day and all maybe you understand me just a little more. I wasn’t always there for you when you needed me, and maybe sometimes I was there, but I didn’t listen. Today Matthew you are a Father and you have been entrusted with one of the biggest responsibilities known to man. You have someone now who not only depends on you to be there for her, but needs you to love her unconditionally. Not only are you going to teach her about life, your baby girl is going to teach you about being a parent. Your baby girl is going to give you a few more tools to add to your tool box of life. She is going to teach you about sacrifices, decisions and doing the right thing by her. Whatever you feel that you wish I had done differently as a father is now up to you to change as you raise your child. I’m pretty sure my father felt the same way about raising me. But when it comes down to it being a father is the hardest jobs you will ever have. Matthew, enjoy your daughter, she will grow so fast!

Jacki – Wow, words cannot quite describe the moment when you were born. I thank my lucky stars that you came into my life. The miracle of your birth will be with me always. How was I to know that your presence would change the universe? Like your brother and sister before you, early on you proved you were unique. Even though you were the youngest at the time you were the piece of the puzzle that made our family work. We may have had our differences but we were always there for each other. You too are also responsible for the man that I am today. I didn’t always make the right decisions by you, and sometimes I made the same mistakes over and over. But look at you now, you went from a caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly almost overnight, or so it seemed. Just remember Chinese rule #110 and you will be successful. I’m not sure if you know this or not but you changed my world again when you joined the military and are now following me to war. I didn’t want that for you, but knowing you, there was nothing I could do but support your decision. Jacki I can’t wait to see you on this side of the ocean. Then again I’m sure you’re going to change the rotation of my world here by your arrival.

Joshua – It may be sometime before you can read this because of your situation. I have to admit that with you and Jacki being in the military I’m just a little nervous about what the future holds for you. Right now, where ever you are you know that I love you, and that I’m thinking of you. When I thought my world was complete and my family was full, out of the blue you came along. You proved me wrong; you taught me that another child made the circle of life complete. When your siblings were busy playing with their friends, you always had time for me. You always seemed to know when I’m down and like Jacki, you have the uncanny ability to make whatever was troubling me go away. It might be that we share the common bond being that we were the babies of our families. Maybe yes, maybe no, regardless I know that you are with me today in spirit. The tools of life that have been given to you are already in use and your journey is already underway. “Meho” I look forward to you walking down life’s pathways, hopefully we can meet on a park bench somewhere and enjoy the moment.

To all my kids I want you to know that I may not always agree with you, and might not be happy with the choices you have made. But there is one thing that you will never lose and that’s my love. I’m proud of each of you for the love, compassion, and your ability to make the world a better place just because you are my child. I will continue to support you, and know that I will always be there for you no matter what. Darcie and Matthew just between us the day of the stapler will always be a fond memory for me.

Susan – Thank you for being by my side and blessing me with our many children. I would never have known the joy of being a parent if we had never met. Knowing that you are in the passenger seat as I travel down this road of life has me believing that I am truly worthy of the title “Father”. I am the man that I am today because of you.

Little Dougie – What can I say when our lives were complete, or so I thought? Then you came along and made our world better. You may think that we were there for you when you needed us. I happen to think differently? You touched each of us in a different way and quickly became part of our family. You may not be mine by blood but I thank god that you are now part of my family. No matter the road you choose from here you will always have a home to come back to.

To everyone else reading this Happy Fathers day! In closing I wanted to say that each of my kids has honored me differently everything from father daughter dances, father of the year nominations, parent teacher meetings, father son outings, and by their unconditional love. My daughter Jacki had this E Mail waiting for me this morning when I logged on. It makes me think that just maybe I have achieved my goal of being a Father.

Dad, where do I begin to even scratch the surface of the impact you've had on my life, from when I was your little Jacki wacky pudding pie, to when I was your soldier. Even in the midst of my successes, my problems (and there have been many) and my shortcomings, you have always accepted me as I am. I am in awe of your strength, your integrity, and your painful endurance you deal with daily. I pray that with all I'm going through in my life and will go through, I hope that I can somehow, someway come close to having your strength, your faith, your boldness and your wisdom to endure all! I am extremely blessed to have the presence of a beautiful, wonderful, loving father!!! Not many people I know can say so many wonderful things about their father. I have been so blessed to have you in my life, and I could write an endless list of good things about you. Thank-you for allowing me that. I am so fortunate to have you in my life!

Sorry I didn't get a card sent out. I really thought I would be with you today. Or, at the very least, arriving there pretty quickly. So, here's my substitute card.


Thank you to all my friends and family that read our blog. Your support is what we all need to get through the upcoming months.

That is all,

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment