Monday, May 9, 2011

Mothers Day – 8 May 11

I wrote two letters to the special ladies in my life. One letter to my bride Susan, the other letter is to my favorite Mother-In-law Harriet. Both of these ladies have been my rock through the years. I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am today without their love and support.

Susan,
What can I say that hasn’t been said before? Looking back at all the cards and letters that I have sent you over the years has left me without original words to thank you for being such a wonderful mother to our kids. You are my wife, confidant, best friend, partner and the mother of our kids. Our kids are like the proverbial snowflake and that is no two are alike. Being a mother to such a variety of kids can’t be easy by any means. No matter the amount of frustration you feel sometimes or the dream of a future that may suddenly change you are always their mom first and foremost. As if that wasn’t enough you have to be “Super Woman” and find room in your heart to help out other lost souls.

Sometimes I’m jealous of the relationship that you have with our kids. I guess I should have known better when I became the third wheel so long ago. Even back then you were a mom that put her kid’s needs first and foremost above her own. I’m not complaining I knew that about you when I signed on. In fact the love that you had for your kids was one of the things that I loved about you. I have to say I do feel an extreme amount of pride when one of our children writes on face book telling their friends that my mom is more than a mother she is my best friend. To be called a best friend by one of your kids is truly priceless.

I have often wondered what our life would be like after the nest was vacated. We’re very close now but I’m smart enough to realize that the zip code and area code may change but not the amount of phone calls from our kids just checking in. How many times after answering a call have I seen you grab your cigarettes, a fresh bottle of diet Pepsi and head out to talk on the phone to one of the kids in need. I always breathe a sigh of relief when you come back in and say all is well.

My years in the military provided for our family but you were then, as you are now the go to person for our children. In my day I’ve spent hours on planes, airport lounges or sitting on the tarmac waiting to get home. Hours have been spent day dreaming of our life together and what the future might hold for us. The United States Army was an unforgiving mistress that dictated the time that I could spend home with my loved ones. Today the Army is a distant memory and the future is ours to enjoy. It’s me and you now; for better or worse, in good times and the bad until death do we part! We have done our time in purgatory it is our turn now to live, laugh and love as though no one is watching us.

Just remember I have loved you before I ever met you. You are the woman that I dreamed of when I was young. You are my soul mate for ever and always. Thank you for being such an inspiration to our kids. Thank you for being there for me and the family when we needed you most. Most importantly thank you for being the best mother possible to our kids.

I Love you Susan and Happy Mother’s Day!

Dave


Harriet,
I just wanted to say Happy Mother’s day to a lady I am honored to call Mom! I know you will never replace my Mom, but you have filled the void that was left when she passed over 20 years ago. I watch you watching my kids and wonder to myself if she would be as proud of my kids as you are. With you by my side I have faced the world head on and have so enjoyed my time with you. Without your continued support and the love of your daughter I may not have become the man that I am today.

Sometimes though there is a side of you that others seldom see. Remember the day that you asked me to put tires around your tomato plants. You look so surprised when I came in and asked for more tires. I would love to say that you suppressed your laughter rather well when you discovered that I placed the tires around the potato plants instead. Notice I said “I would love to say”, you see your laughter that day more than likely led to your issue with changing your pants now years later.

I remember the first time I met you I was pretty nervous to say the least. Having asked Susan to marry me after such a brief courtship must have made you both a little nervous as well? I’m sure Sheldon’s fear of me beating your daughter in the years ahead quickly vanished once he got to know me (right?). Let me just say my first interaction with Sheldon left something to be desired as I tried to engage him in conversation. Try as I might he seemed to answer questions with all yes and no answers that left little to discussion. Soon after wards he drifted off to sleep, after which he headed back outside. I wish someone would have thought to tell me beforehand that Sheldon was hard at hearing.

Have you ever noticed that words or phrases bring you back to a time when life was simple? Talks of roller skating, root beer floats, drive in movies or county fairs are like time machines to the past. Around our house the word Harriet or more affectionately “Harry” makes all those that know you smile. We all have our stories that are told so lovingly to others. You have to know that you’re such an intricate part of my life, my family and close friends that words cannot describe the love that I have for you.

After the death of my father in law and friend Sheldon I wondered what the future would be like for you. All my fears were quickly cast aside and I knew that you were going to be Ok. You started off at a crawl and then took off running as you became more confident. It wasn’t long before you became even more independent and started living the life that you deserved. Then last winter you went down to Texas and came back the owner of a winter get away. I am so proud of you and I’m glad that you’re such a great role model for my kids.

Just the other day you told me “I had to take a nap after making all those goodies for the grandchildren”. I laughed and said all you have to do is change the first part because the last part remains the same. You gave me one of those “What are you talking about Willis looks”. I clarified and said that you could say “I went to golf today and had to take a nap afterwards” or “I went to the Gym today and had to take a nap afterwards”. Where you find the time in your busy schedule to watch the hours of television you T Bo I will never know.

I just want to go on record and say that because your family I have never charged you my normal fee while teaching you Cribbage 101. In fact the other night at Buck Burgers (Actually $1.50) I was not surprised when you admitted that you took $3.00 off someone while playing cribbage waiting for poker to begin. I’m going to say this once and will never repeat it again but I look forward to playing cribbage with you. I watch you play whether as my opponent or partner and have to admit that you’re pretty good if I do say so myself. It seems like just yesterday I was teaching you to play at the kitchen table and now you’re flying solo on the club circuit.

I’m not the only one who adores you, my friends and colleagues all ask about you often. Not to mention what the kids tell their friends after an adventure with Harry. Just so you know Doug, both Bobs and I have made a pact that nobody but us will ever take your money and make fun of you as long as we are around. Your money tin may be lighter now but it’s not empty. Instead it is filled with the laughter and tears that have been shed gambling at the cabin.

You have taught me so much about unconditional love and have stood by my side for almost 25 years. That truly in itself is something that not many can claim and should win you the title of “Mother of the Year” hands down from this day forward!

Admit it Mom there have been some great moments that will never be forgotten. Remember the guess your age booth at Valley Fair or the Doctor talking to me and you about our daughter’s surgery being performed later today. The times we have spent laughing, learning and living will be the treasures that I will carry with me always. One thing that all those that were present that day not long ago will agree on is that Harriet, tent camping and grilled cabbage does not mix. They are a lethal combination just like ammonia and bleach.

To my adopted Mother and best friend I love you! I hope that this Mother’s Day that all your wishes come true.

Your favorite son-in-law (named Dave)

P.S. You’re not the only one that likes the new picture that they put up at church!

No comments:

Post a Comment