Sunday, August 23, 2009

23 AUG 09 – Fun Meters Pegged

Good morning from Iraq,

I have to tell you this place isn’t exactly what the doctor ordered. Yesterday I’m pretty sure the temperatures were a balmy 125 with 80% humidity. Today the thermometer in the guard shack registers at 130. How I love the wind blowing the warm moist air off the ocean to bake us here. It reminds me of time spent with my father in an old finish sauna, with some old guy with the road map of life etched into his face pouting water on the rocks. I also remember my dad adding water to the rocks in the sauna saying it’s so good for you, and that it will clean your pores out. I didn’t really want him to add the water but he did it anyway. Present day all I can say is don’t add the water. If you remember reading my blog from the other day I mentioned briefly about wet underwear. Today it’s more of the same, were talking wet boots.

Yesterday when I took my boots off I noticed the water marks on the upper portion of my boots. Trust me in wasn’t from the higher than normal rainfall here. Or me marching through a marsh, and it definitely wasn’t from me hand washing my NTV (stands for Non-Tactical Vehicle) at Abdul’s wash and go. No it was definitely sweat that had leaked out of my pores that had joined other drops of sweat to run like a river down my legs during yesterdays roll over training. Instead of teaching us to be better drivers we teach our soldiers how to get out of a vehicle after it’s rolled over. All kidding aside, there are a lot of reasons why tactical vehicles roll over anything from fatigued drivers, narrow roads, the heat, and lack of experience. What’s funny is during the roll over training they have you strapped inside this simulated vehicle. In your group you have to nominate a driver (it was me), a vehicle commander, and a gunner to stand in the hatch. The trainer takes you left 30 degrees, then 90, back upright, right 30 degrees, to 90 and back. Then they give you the “loop de loop” treatment and you have to get out. As the driver I wanted to yell “hold my beer and watch this”.

I feel that for the most part I’ve been pretty good when it comes to complaining about the heat. As the guys that we replaced said “it is what it is”. What an odd thing to say but it’s true. It’s hot, and its hotter that’s your choices here. As if that wasn’t bad enough you’re here far away from home and the only green that you see is off in the distance, or the paper money in your wallet.

My youngest boy Josh graduated from Basic last Friday and I’m so proud of him. I know I’ve said it before but you truly have to give a little of yourself to your country before you can complain about your life. Both Jacki and Josh have given a part of themselves to serve, just like their dad has done and a long line of family before them. Many of those I have served with who are like aunts and uncles to my kids have welcomed them into the ranks of those that have served. I know my kids can stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of them. I watched the American Soldier video by Toby Keith the other day. It was very emotional and my eyes watered over. I thought about Jacki and Josh serving and wondered what the future holds for them. When my cube mate asked what’s wrong I said my allergies were acting up. I don’t think he suspected anything differently.

I imagine that when Josh gets back to High School this fall, he will walk a little different. His head will be held higher, his self confidence even higher. While his friends talk about time spent on the beach, and eating pizza at the pizza parlor, Josh will have stories from a different world unbeknownst to them. His stories will include how to treat someone for shock, properly throw a grenade, inflate a lung and shoot a gun accurately up to 400 meters. He will talk about the people he met and the bonds with strangers that were formed. While other tells about some place they stayed that was really fancy; he will tell a different story of his 30+ roommates, the food at the mess hall, and the latrines. Some of his friends might even complain that their car had broken down, and Josh might reply about completing the death march while carry everything from ammo, food, and his sleeping accommodations all on his back while wearing his full battle rattle. FYI – The term battle rattle means, Kevlar helmet, Rifle, and full body Armor.

Yep he’s going to be different; he experienced life outside of his security blanket. He left his family behind, his friends, and did something that most people wouldn’t even dream of. How many people can say with conviction in their voice “Greater love hath no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends”. It’s what being a soldier is all about, giving of oneself in order for others to live their life free.

Jacki can attest that it takes a little bit of awkward before some bit of normalcy comes back. Looking at the soldiers I’m serving with now I think we are all just a little different than the day we left home. Granted some are by far more different than the others, it’s more than that it’s about the change in one’s self due to the experience. Hopefully when we get home we will adapt to our lives before Iraq. That when a car backfires we won’t run for a bunker. Or when the fireworks are lit we don’t close our eyes and remember a place and time spent far from our homes.

Jacki, Josh and Doug you will never know the amount of pride I have for each of you knowing that you are wearing the uniform of a soldier. Knowing that you’re the next generation of soldiers will allow me to sleep comfortably knowing that you’re serving our country! My 30th anniversary of serving is coming soon and all I can say is it’s been a great ride. When I finally pull the pin, and leave my last formation I know that one door will close but yet another will open. Remember that the 7 Army values are more than just words. They are a code of conduct for you to live your life by.

For those of you that know me well you should know that my fun meter is pegged and I’m ready to come home! Two weeks give or take and I will be back in the good old USA. My water marked boots will be in the closet; my uniform will be cleaned and hung on a hangar waiting for my trip back. Hopefully, the next part of my journey will be uneventful.

Susan – Thank you for our family and for the sacrifice that you have made so we can serve. Thank you for standing by my side as our kids sprouted their wings and flew. Most importantly thank you for such great kids! Looking at all of them now you would think that we actually knew what we were doing. That the sleepless nights were not for nothing, and that the joys of being a family by far outweigh the sorrows

That is all,

Dave

1 comment: