Tuesday, August 11, 2009

9 Aug 09 – You guys are great!

I just wanted to drop you all a quick note to say hi, and that I so appreciate your E mails, letters, cards and boxes from home. I know I’m not alone when I say that those of us on the ground here in Iraq love mail call. My boy Josh just sent me a letter from basic telling me about his life. I thought it was funny when he wrote to me that “The letters and postcards do more for me than you will ever know”. He went on to say “They give me a little bit of inspiration that helps me get through the day”! I could so relate to the comments he made, and then he went on to say “Lately he needs all the help he can get.” Trust me Josh I do understand and I look forward to hearing from you more when you get home!

You guys back home really make a difference in the lives of the soldiers both over here, and those serving back home. After the past few weeks our moral is slowly starting to improve. It helps knowing that we are almost over the half way point, and that you all keep us, and our families in your thoughts and prayers.

Even notes sent amongst us and the ability to share pictures help us all remember that we are not alone. Although there are those that may run when I yell I have new pictures of my grandbaby. Just kidding one of my new civilian friends here sent me this E mail from his friend. Good morning. Sherly loved the Blog. She’s never been in the military but has a son in the Marines, and a brother in the Army. She had no clue until now of the things we all go through during our deployments. She said there is no way that she would survive the hardship that not only the men, but what the women go through.

On a separate subject Jacki and I wanted to drop you a list of some do’s and don’ts for sending stuff to soldiers. I sent a poll out to the guys in my section asking for their input. Here is how they responded:

What is your favorite thing that you have received so far?

- Pictures (Home, Family, reunions, weddings, graduation parties, birthdays, family reunion, ex wife getting arrested)

- DVD's (There are 5-8 different movies on sale at the PX)

- Beef Jerky (Wrapped airtight)

- Unsigned Greeting cards (birthday, love, anniversary, wedding, sympathy, get well, retirement) the old PX doesn’t have much in stock.

- Marshmallow gun (With pink Marshmallows for safety)

- Travel size hygiene items (deodorant, shampoo, glass cleaning cloths, bar soap, mouthwash, women’s products, and aspirin)

- Puzzles (sounds weird)

- Not healthy food such as Pop tarts, individually sealed rice crispy bars, boxes of Ritz crackers (Garden Blend), Chicken in the basket crackers, etc)

- A yard of beef (Salami, or beef sticks that don’t need refrigeration)

- Snacks that are non perishable

- Homemade Townsend salsa (In glass bottles individually bubble wrapped).

- Shoe string potatoes (Vacuumed sealed in a can)

What is the worst thing that you have received?

- Clothes (We wear Army uniforms or PT clothes)

- Expired snacks

Best packaging job?

- The one that will survive being crushed by other boxes that are larger than the one you sent. Take a little time to place newspaper, bubble wrap, or a layer of something around the items to protect them.

- Newspapers and magazines from home fill the void nicely. It’s kind of like a recycling program for your soldiers. Not only do they protect the goodies but you can read them after your belly is full in the bathroom (Dave)

- Vacuumed Sealed Cookies (keep in mind that we all agree even the worst packed cookies are still better than no cookies at all)

- Cookies in coffee cans with bread in them (Thanks Jan)

Worst packaging job?

- The ones that don’t follow the best packing job techniques. Remember if you’re sending glass wrap them up good (Pat)

- Unwrapped shampoo (Always tape the lids down or place in a zip lock bag)

What do you need?

- Peanut butter M & M’s (trust me they will survive)

- Peanut butter M & M’s (really it was on the list twice)

Things that you should not send:

- Chocolate (Temperatures get up to 120+ during the day, no telling what the temperature is inside the trailers hauling mail)

- Jar of Barbecue Sauce (Sorry Darcie)

- Can of Refried Beans (No can opener?)

- Refer to worst packaging job! (Pat in his finest)

Advice to family and friends:

- Tape down lids on bottles

- Wrap bottles in zip lock bags whenever possible

- Whatever we get here we have to bring back home at the end

- Refer to best and worst packaging jobs (Good one Pat)

- We love to hear from you so keep the goodies from home coming (Another one from Pat)

Before I go I just wanted to share this note that I received from our friend Lisa. What she described below made me visualize the moment that I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I know some of you guys are groaning (Yeah I mean you NB) but it’s true. Lisa’s short E mail made me forget where I was and remember much happier times. Lisa sent the following short and sweet message: “Dave - Saw your bride, she looks good. Had a few laughs - it's good to see her smile. It just lights up her face - that and when she talks about you.”

It just goes to show what I said earlier about letters, E mail and packages from home. They help us reconnect for a moment in our minds. By closing our eyes and savoring the letters from home we feel just a little better. We are able to connect on a much higher level and leave this place behind if only for a brief moment.

Once again you guys are the best and we the soldiers thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

That is all,

Dave and the gang!

1 comment:

  1. Dave, I placed this note on the Crotteau web site as it is so informative for others to see. I have removed any reference to your family for security purposes. I trust this meets with your approval. Hopefully it helps someone thinking of sending articles and what/how to send them. Well done sir,

    www.pdcroteau.com
    Paul

    ReplyDelete