Monday, February 16, 2009

16 Feb 09 - Presidents Day

Good Evening from Ft Lewis, WA, The pictures on the left are from my trip to Seattle last weekend. It's obvious that the presidents plan to put the American people back to work is right on track. I'm just kidding, the people here in Seattle are nice. The weather here makes it seem like home. On a clear day you can see Mt Rainer. I'll have to post some pictures of the mountains in my upcoming Blog entries.
It's now day 15 for me here in Ft Lewis. The day to day routines are making it seem like ground hogs day here. The civilians in the mess halls are very kind. They seem to go the extra mile to make us feel at home. Granted the mess halls seat about 40 people tops, so you have to eat and move on. But while your there they seem to make the place lively. One of the cooks who is a retired Army guy says "good morning friend, would you like an omelet" to every fourth soldier. I know it's a small thing but you smile when you here him say it.

I would love to say it's getting easier but I dread going forward to Iraq where I won't have the luxury of calling home when I want. It's made it tolerable being able to text a message to the kids or to call home when I need to. We are using Skype and that might fill the void while I'm gone. Nothing compares to hearing and seeing the family back home.

I would love to give you an update on our cribbage tournament. It appears the stress of long hours and the deployment are taking it's toll. The old dogs are getting a little tired and the pups have pulled off a three game winning streak. Don't worry though the score is still old dogs 9 and the young pups 6.

To those of you that are keeping me and my family in their prayers I thanks you.

That is all,

Dave

6 comments:

  1. Do me a favor and tell Chuck about the Skype thing. I'm glad that you get the chance to do that. Take care of yourself! Sue if you need anything please call me!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more than anything I'm looking forward to the cribbage tally. Looking back, I was glad to have measured all we did, in terms of how often, how many, how big, etc...

    Nothing can prepare you for all you've prepared for, if that makes sense. You'll just have to reflect on it afterward and pass it on to someone else who is where you are now.

    Be safe! Send an address too, Dave.

    PW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey pops---I don't know if you watch those videos of Aubrey on the flash drive but I just watched them all again and they make me laugh every time!!

    I LUB YOU
    BUH BYE
    <3
    Darcie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey when my Dad was gone we didn't have blogs or skype, so I'm a little jealous. But I really think its great you are able to stay in touch, and also thankful you take the time to keep us all informed. I think when next time I see you we should play some cribbage, see if you've improved any ;) cause if you can't beat the pups...
    Love you,
    Moose

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...you know a moose can't really be annonymous...its kinda like the elephant in the china shop or the crotteau family at an all you can eat buffet...just doesn't work!!

    = )

    Darc

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Moose has trouble making tech work sometimes, maybe its the hooves on the keyboard. I have a google acct but I can only post as anonymous. I need a pic of a moose in hoodie and big dark shades.

    ReplyDelete