Friday, February 20, 2009

20 Feb 09 - Flash back

Good morning from Dave's world. Another day in paradise I just wanted to share some pictures with you. I had a flash back yesterday all the way to Jun of 1980. I left a plane in Ft Leonard Wood Missouri and boarded my first ever cattle car. As you can imagine farm animal noises were made as we (young recruits) were taken to our home for 8 weeks. The cattle car doors opened we were thrust into the open arms of basic training.
Little did I know that 29 years later I would be reunited with my first ever army transportation. I was awed at first that this magnificent machine would have aged so well. I said to myself "Self you haven't aged either". Lucky for me this exchange of words was done inside my head not out loud. The doors of the cattle car opened yesterday and welcomed me back to a time where life was simpler.
It didn't take long for me to remember the suspension system or should I say the lack of. We left the garrison (Army term for black top) to go to our field sanitation course training. After being bounced around I realized that nothing changed, and I didn't really miss the good old cattle car of days gone by. Did I mention that there were still farm noises but without the crackle of puberty?

Our cribbage tournament was put on hold last night due to Army Training. Most of my group were involved in vehicle roll over training. Lucky for me I was able to accomplish this task back in October while I was out here. I'm sure the young pups were thankful for the brief reprieve.

To my family and friends reading this I thank you. Please keep my soldiers in your thoughts and prayers.

That is All

Dave

5 comments:

  1. Dear Dave

    Thank you to all of you for all you do for us. I can't imagine all you have been through and all you will be going through. You and your unit and all military are in my prayers daily. It sounds like Sue and maybe Josh and Aubrey are coming up tomorrow morning.

    Love
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your post. I feel so much more connected to what you are doing. I love you and think of you all thru the day.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave I really enjoy reading your comments. So who started to make the noises???? I know it couldn't be you. Life at Ripley is the same as always. You were mentions today at the Log Conference and you were definately missed! Take care you are all in my thoughts and prayers! Tell the "others" I said Hi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave I love reading your blog, it really helps me to understand what you guys are doing out there. I wish you all the best of luck. I hear you guy/gals all stay very busy out there. That's good it'll make time go by faster! Take care of the little guy for me! Give him a slap every once in a while, just because he needs it and I'm not there to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the cattle cars. Never had a problem sleeping on them.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete