Saturday, February 7, 2009

7 Feb 09 - No one to knock

Another morning in Dave's world,
This morning after a vigorous morning walk I enjoyed a ham and cheese omelet and some chocolate milk. The guys in my section ate together and talked about our upcoming day. Breakfast here in the mess hall isn't as bad as I originally thought. The mess hall is old like our barracks but they do have eggs to order. This is a highlight for me, on my last deployment all meals were heat and serve like a TV dinner. You haven't lived until you've had the same heat and serve meal three months in a roll. Don't get me wrong at least we had hot meals at Ft Stewart GA.

More about the title of today's blog entry "No one to knock". At home when the urge to go to the bathroom happens I like to grab a book and settle in for a few minutes. Sooner or later one of the kids or my wife will knock on the door and ask if I'm OK. I realized this morning that there was no one here to knock and ask if I'm OK. Talk about depressing, as sad as it is no one will be knocking for a long time. At home it was an annoyance because I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. It's funny the things that you miss when your gone.

Today we are assisting the unit with weighing and measuring equipment for onward movement to IRAQ. We have three sets of equipment that we are tracking. We have a set of equipment that will be used while we are here, and returned to MN after we leave. We have a set of equipment that will be used here and then sent by military airplane to IRAQ. Last but not least is a set of equipment that needs to go to IRAQ in the next few week by boat. I know the questions are obvious like why the three sets. For one thing the set being used here and returned to Mn is because the equipment is already stationed in IRAQ waiting for us. The equipment set that we are using here then flying over is not available for us to use here in Ft Lewis WA but we have to have it to train. The last set going by boat is mission essential equipment that is not in IRAQ but we need to do our mission.

Hope that answers your questions.

Remember life is about choices. Have a great day and decide Early if your glass is half empty or half full!

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I knock on the bathroom door just out of habit. I miss your voice asking "What?"
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will vigourously knock on the bathroom door when i am sure you are in there. And I will do other things more often than I would at home just so you don't miss them. Like I will never ever do the dishes. or I will never take out the garbage. just for you... I'll do that while I'm in Iraq. you have my word.

    ReplyDelete