Sunday, February 8, 2009

8 Feb 09 How did I get here?


Another morning in Dave's world. My barracks has about 40 male soldiers living together under one roof. It's not always easy with 4 shower heads, 1 washer, and 1 dryer but you just do the best you can and move on. Last night some of the guys came in about 2:00 am lite up like a Christmas tree. They were loud, obnoxious and enjoying life to its fullest. This morning MAJ Howe and I talked about this on our morning walk. As much as I wanted to come unglued on them last night I opted to look the other way.

Face it coming unglued would have been fun but for many this is the last opportunity to drink and move about freely. Soon when the main body gets here we will be under General Order 1 which means no drinking. My rational was let them have their fun it's the weekend and it will be a year before it happens again. There are many last times on our lists but each day brings us closer to coming home again.

I want to thank my family and friends for standing by me through my military career. It hasn't been all that and a bag of chips but I wouldn't change my life for the world. I asked myself this morning how did I get here? Thank god I didn't answer myself out loud. I got here because of me, my family and a decision that we made together. I'm here today because I raised my right hand and said I do, I will, and do with me what you will. After all with my youngest being a junior in school it was to soon to retire. We knew by extending the chances were there that I would deploy. But as I said earlier life is about choices. I've always taught my kids that there are two things you have in this world, your name and your word. If you give your word you need to do the right thing. And that when people hear your name they associate it with your reputation and who you are. Break your word or discredit your name and your faced with the consequences of your actions.

So why am I here? I'm here because of my father, his father and his father before him. I'm here because I gave my word to my wife when I said "I do" that I would take care of her and protect her. I'm here because I believe in what we are doing and that together we can make a difference. I'm here because I gave my word and that those I work with daily need me as much as I need them. We (deployed soldiers) have an unspoken word to take care of each other until we return.

May God bless you and yours and say a prayer tonight for a soldier while you lie in your bed in your own home.

5 comments:

  1. Dave, You have always done your best by 1st your family and 2nd in all other areas of your life. Thats why I am so proud of you, and gratefull that your the man I married.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - Has Maj Howe brain washed you or are you to blending into the same person. It is scary! I am also proud of all of us (soldiers & families) we are they only ones who can say we stand up to do these things. Maj Howe has always told me that "God never gives us more than we can handle." It is hard to always remember that when we are sick and need our spouse or alone at night but I know that when we will be together again it will be awesome.
    We will get through this and we will have awesome stories.
    God Bless - Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri, It sounds like they are spending alot of time together. May be they are blending into the same person. Scary huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave

    I'm so proud of what you have done for yourself and your family. Including me. You've always been there. Although I've found out. my lists don't mean as much to you any more. Just kidding. I appreciate you and all you've done for me.

    Love,

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad would be proud of the two of you... and Jacki.

    Paul Croteau

    ReplyDelete